The Paver Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the asphalt paver. This position operates paving machines to spread and level hot mix paving material on subgrade of highways, streets, and parking lots with the aids of stakes and level gauges to ensure mix is placed to the proper grade and thickness.
- Operate the paver and other heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Perform daily maintenance and safety checks of the equipment.
- Preheat paving screed before placement of asphalt and monitor and control temperature settings of the asphalt mixture.
- Operate the Paver controls to lower the screed auger, control the hopper, and navigate the direction of the paver.
- Align the paving machine into position when receiving asphalt by dump truck and maintain constant flow of asphalt into hopper; ease paver forward, safely pushing dump truck along construction surface.
- Observe distribution of paving materials along screed and control the direction of the screed to eliminate voids at curbs and joints.
- Line paver appropriately to work the area, and ensure proper application of asphalt, smoothing it evenly to the desired height, width, and depth.
- Regulate temperature of asphalt flowing from hopper.
- Operate other heavy equipment and other construction related duties as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience within the road construction industry.
- 1 to 2 years’ experience operating a paver.
- Must be able to workdays, nights, or weekends as needed.